Ethical Tech Resources
We've compiled and maintain this list of educational resources that can help inform you about data privacy, and protect yourself from corporate surveillance capitalism and over-reaching political actors.
This list is always under construction - We're looking for freedom respecting, ethical technology resources. Please contact us (general enquiries) if you know of any we haven't listed here!
- The Social Dilemma (2020) - A fantastic documentary exploring the damage social media inflicts upon society. Explains technical concepts in an easy-to-understand manner!
- The Great Hack (2019) - An exploration of the Facebook Cambridge Analytica scandal, and its impacts on the 2016 Trump and Brexit campaigns.
- Nothing to hide (2017) - Documentary with good humor and a rocking end song written in German about data privacy.
- Permanent Record by Edward Snowden - The autobiography of ex-NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. A great read to better understand the events which lead up to his 2013 leaks.
- The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff - An in-depth exploration about the data and attention economy by Harvard Professor Shoshana Zuboff.
- Click Here To Kill Everybody, by Bruce Schneier
- Books by Michael Bazzell
- Enemy of the Surveillance State - A podcast on the topic of mass surveillance.
- Free as in Freedom - FOSS podcast.
- IRL - Online Life Is Real Life - Podcast by Firefox, hosted by Manoush Zomorodi.
- The Privacy, Security, & OSINT Show - Privacy is a big part of this show.
- Podcasting 2.0 - Free speech lovers trying to build onto podcasting in a open source way.
- Surveillance Report - A weekly security and privacy news roundup to keep you up-to-speed on important updates in our digital world.
- DuckDuckGo Blog - Good for people new to things. Explains stuff well. Ran by a company.
- Grugq’s domain
- PrivacyTools Blog
- Matt Traudt’s Blog - An interesting, at times angry, person who holds many opinions around Tor and Tech.
- The New Oil
- Bowler Design - Self Hosting Blog.
- Privacy Please! - Good for people new to things. Explains stuff well. Ran by a company.
- InfoSec Handbook
- The Free Software Foundation Blog
- Deeplinks Blog | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Kool Aid with Karan - A great digital privacy oriented blog with in depth and well written articles.
- How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism - A detailed deep dive into the facts and myths surrounding the topic of Surveillance Capitalism.
- Go Incognito - A fantastic free and beginner friendly course provided by TechLore on how to go about protecting yourself online.
- Surveillance Self-Defense
Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
- switching.software - Freedom respecting alternatives to popular software.
- Tor Browser - A highly anonymised web browser.
- The Free Software Foundation
- Debian - Operating system.
- GNOME - Desktop environment.
- Monero - Privacy and Anonymity minded crypto currency.
Disclaimer - For obvious reasons, we can't individually vet and thereby endorse everything produced by the websites/books/podcasts/documentaries listed here.